Rhinoplasty or nose job is a surgery performed on the patient to alleviate the breathing issues or to change the shape of the nose for cosmetic purposes. This surgical procedure can also be performed to repair the birth defects or any deformities that occurred due to an injury. In a few instances, the procedure can be performed for both breathing problems and aesthetic purposes. Our nose is made of bone, cartilage, and it is covered by skin. The rhinoplasty surgical procedure involves changes to all these three structures.
What happens in Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is performed under local or general anesthesia. All the queries or concerns of the patient will be addressed by the doctor before the procedure. Based on the surgery opted by the patient, the doctor will modify the bone or the cartilage of the nose. If there are any breathing issues, the doctor might correct the deviated nasal septum.
The patient may need to stay overnight in the hospital after the surgery. To minimize the bleeding, the patient will be advised to keep the head in an elevated position. After surgery, nasal congestion, bleeding, or mucus discharge can be observed, which is normal.
Generally, within a week the patient can resume all the activities of daily living. If there is any swelling or discoloration observed after the surgery, this will be usually subsided within two to three weeks.
Risks Associated with Rhinoplasty
Every surgery has risks, but in Rhinoplasty the risks are less, and the complications are rarely observed. The doctor will provide a brief description of the risks and complications involved in the surgery before performing it. The risks associated with Rhinoplasty surgery are as follows:
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Breathing problems through the nose
- Permanent numbness in and around the nose
- Septal perforation
- Uneven nose
Important Precautions to be Taken After Rhinoplasty Surgery
After rhinoplasty surgery, the patient should take the following precautions to reduce the chances of swelling or bleeding:
- Physical activities that are strenuous should be avoided
- As there is a bandage on the nose of the patient after surgery, it is recommended to take bath rather than a shower
- Avoid blowing the nose
- Eat food having high fiber content because it will prevent the chances of constipation and exertion of pressure on the surgical site.
- Avoid facial expressions such as smiling or laughing
- Upper lip movement must be limited; therefore, perform gentle brushing in the morning
- Do not wear clothes that can be pulled over the head such as T-shirts, sweaters, etc
- It is recommended to avoid using sunglasses or eyeglasses on your nose for four weeks so that pressure will not be built on the nose.
Want to Undergo Rhinoplasty? Book an Appointment with Dr. Soujanya Thumu
Dr. Soujanya Thumu is a well-known ENT specialist in Hyderabad, who has been carrying a rich experience of 10 years in performing ENT surgeries. She is working as a senior consultant ENT specialist at Klavo Clinics and Diagnostics. If you would like to correct your nose deformities, birth defect, resolve issues with breathing through the nose, or you would like to correct your nose for aesthetic reasons, then book an appointment with Dr. Soujanya immediately without further delay.