A tonsillectomy is a surgical procedure used for removing tonsils. The tonsils are the oval-shaped pads on either side of the throat. These tonsils help to protect the body from infections. The tonsillectomy procedure is used to treat sleep disorders and prevent frequent infections.
Tonsilitis is one of the main reasons for undergoing tonsillectomy. It is an infection of the tonsils that cause tonsils to swell.
Who Needs to Undergo Tonsillectomy?
The need for tonsillectomy procedure is mostly seen in children than in adults as tonsilitis mostly occurs in children. But people of any age group can have this procedure if they have trouble with tonsils. People who are sick due to tonsilitis or who have strep throat can also undergo a tonsillectomy. If you had tonsillitis for more than seven times, you should check with your doctor if you need to undergo a tonsillectomy procedure.
The tonsillectomy procedure is also suitable for treating the following cases:
- Loud snoring
- Breathing difficulties due to swollen tonsils
- Recurrent bleeding of the tonsils
- Some rare diseases of tonsils
- Sleep apnea
- Chronic throat infection
How to Prepare for the Tonsillectomy Procedure?
You should inform your doctor about the medications you use including over-the-counter medications. You may need to stop using anti-inflammatory medications at least two weeks before undergoing the procedure. You should also inform your doctor about your medical history, and also if you are allergic to some medications.
Other preparations before the procedure include the following:
- You should stop eating and drinking after midnight before undergoing the surgery
- Arrange someone to drop you to the home
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing for the surgery
- If you are planning for pregnancy, have a pregnancy test before undergoing the surgery
- If your child is the patient, carry a blanket or a favourite toy to comfort the child
- Take medications prescribed by your doctor, if any, on the day of surgery
How is the Tonsillectomy Procedure Performed?
The tonsillectomy procedure can be performed in different ways. All types of procedures are performed by giving general anesthesia and the procedure takes around 20 to 30 minutes only. The procedure is not painful, and in most cases, the entire tonsils will be removed. In some cases, the patients can benefit even from the partial removal of the tonsils. No cuts will be made on the skin for the surgery and it is performed directly from the open mouth. Once the procedure is completed, you will be moved to the recovery room.
The doctor will decide the right technique for you considering various factors. The common methods include:
- Electrocautery: This procedure uses heat to burn the tonsils and it prevents severe bleeding.
- Cold knife dissection: In this method, a scalpel is used to remove the tonsils and the bleeding is stopped through the electrocautery process.
- Harmonic scalpel: The energy from ultrasound is used to cut and stop the bleeding. This procedure causes less bleeding than other methods.
- Radiofrequency ablation: Radiofrequency ablation cannot be treated with a single session, but requires multiple sessions to completely shrink the tonsils. This method uses radiation and is recommended only for enlarged tonsils.
- Carbon dioxide laser: Carbon dioxide laser is performed using local anesthesia and it takes only around 15 minutes. It causes less pain when compared to other methods.
- Bipolar radiofrequency ablation: It is a complex method used for removing partial or complete tonsils. This method also causes less pain.
- Microdebrider: This method is used for the partial removal of tonsils. The enlarged portion of the tonsil will be removed and there is less risk of pain following the surgery.
Recovery after the Surgery
Once your tonsils are removed, you will be moved to the recovery room and the nurse will monitor your condition for a few hours. You can return to your home on the same day of the surgery. The doctor will give you instructions on how to take care of yourself and follow all the instructions. You might have pain for 3 to 4 days after the surgery and you will be given painkillers to reduce your pain. You should avoid driving while using medications. You should also avoid doing strenuous activities and you need to take bed rest for several days after the surgery.
If you have any signs of infection or illness, schedule your follow-up appointment with your doctor.
Want to Know More About Tonsillectomy? Visit Klavo Clinics
Klavo Clinics is one of the best clinics in Hyderabad who gained expertise in performing tonsillectomy surgery. We have a team of experienced doctors who are committed to offering the best health care services. Our ENT surgeons have a proven record of performing a wide range of complicated ENT procedures including tonsillectomy. We are known for our best paediatric ENT services in Hyderabad such as tonsils inflammation, respiratory problems, etc. To schedule your appointment, call us today.